Subscribe via email

 

Click here to subscribe to the MILLAMIA blog by Email

To view previous blog posts scroll down to the bottom of the page

Sunday 28 October 2012

MILLAMIA BLOG - Official Launch

Why now . . . .?
If you are one of our loyal customers or have met us at any of the many knitting shows, you will probably already know something about my sister and I. You may know that my sister Helena has a background in fashion design and that I had a successful career in banking before having my children and embarking on setting up the MillaMia business. You will definitely know that we are Swedish! But there is a great deal more about us as people, our knitting, MillaMia behind the scenes, new and exciting design developments as well as our fabulous team that you may not know. Interested? then read on . . .

Helena and I found ourselves living in many different parts of the world as we were growing up from Singapore to the USA and as such we experienced life in a variety of cultures. The one constant amidst our seemingly ever changing location was spending every summer in Sweden. I look back on those summers warmly now, remembering the many hours we spent learning traditional crafts such as knitting, baking, running around in the woods. As a teenager however I have to admit I had a different perception! Our love of knitting, and a very evident gap in the market for stylish, modern knitting patterns for babies and children presented us with the perfect opportunity to start a business - and so MillaMia was born.

It has been an exciting and challenging few years since we began MillaMia back in 2009, but we are growing and still learning what it means to be a part of the knitting community in these modern times. I know that knitters are passionate about their craft and their yarn. I know too that our customers have always shown a real interest in what we do as a company - not only about new products and offers, but about us, as people and as knitters.

And that's really why we decided to start a Blog. We have so much more to share about many different aspects of MillaMia, from sneak previews of new designs to behind the scenes at photo shoots, reports from   some of the amazing knitting events that we attend, to yarn shop and MillaMia people profiles. We have a wonderful team - from Kirsten who manages MillaMia in Australia, Max working with our stockists here in the UK and moderating the Ravelry Group as well as our intern, office manager and the lovely Caroline who helps us out when she can.

All that, and not forgetting the knitting! We have always got something on the needles, and lots of new ideas from Helena as well as other designers and patterns that are perfect for using our Naturally Soft Merino.


I'm picking up my needles to start knitting tiny items for my third baby, due in February. I'm hoping the MillaMia team will help out with knitting a layette for my exciting arrival - more on that in the coming months!

(posted by Katarina)

No comments:

Post a Comment