Having been away it has been a while since we blogged. This month we thought it might be nice to get to know some of the creative team who help create the MillaMia designs. Here is an interview with Tanya - our talented design assistant. Happy reading!
An interview with Tanya - MillaMia design assistant:
1. What made you want to work in the hand knitting business?
Hand knitting was never my plan - it just sort of happened after I met MillaMia's previous intern , Louisa at the Knitting & Stitching show. I saw it as a new challenge and thought it would be great to try and master a new skill. I had a bit of prior hand knitting knowledge but I have always admired it as it takes so much more time and skill than machine knitting.
|The Arctic Cushion from winter knitting -|
one of Tanya's favourite MillaMia Knits
2. What have you learnt since you started with MillaMia? I have learnt how to chart fairisle which is a great skill to have as it means I can adapt and design patterns so much quicker now! I have also acquired a feel for what the MillaMia customer might want and how to incorporate knitwear trends from the catwalk into the designs without compromising on wearability.
3. What bits of the job do you enjoy the most?
I really enjoy coming up with new fabrics and swatching. I also love the design process from sketching to coming up with new and interesting colour ways.
4. What are your long term career aspirations?
I would love to stay within design and definitely within knitwear. It would be great to maybe work for a supplier so that I can design for a variety of brands.
5. What are your favourite 5 knitting patterns to knit?
|Annette Scarf and Elika Wristwarmers|
from Finishing Touch
|Snow Storm wristwarmers from Winter Knitting|