1) Introduce yourself, and tell us a bit about how the Troon shop sprang to life.
The Troon shop came about due to me having my baby. Mum lived just outside London at the time and after deciding she wanted no more daily commutes she moved back to Scotland in 2012 to be near her first grandchild. In visits back up to Scotland she wanted to visit local yarn shops but couldn’t quite find what she was looking for and so we decided to open one!
2) Congratulations on opening your second shop just under a year after opening the first - you must be so excited! Tell us all about your lovely new shop.
We are very excited but also must be mad! Our new shop is a bigger version of our original Troon shop. We aimed to tackle the old stereotype of yarn shops and bring ours into the 21st Century. Bright, airy and stocking mostly designer brands.
3) The burning question that is on every knitters lips – what have you currently got on the needles?
Mum is currently knitting the open/closed sign for the new shop door. Our one in Troon is a major talking point because it’s original. (I’m not making this up but) I am on row 19 of my Millamia Teddy Blanket for my son! Long way to go but I’ll get there!
4) How do you go about selecting the stock for your shops from the overwhelming array of yarn available right now?
We go by pure instinct! We look at various websites and get samples in to knit with them to see what they’re like. Except speciality wool, when selecting new yarns to try in store we are mostly driven by the patterns. If the patterns are good, it’s usually a good sign that the yarn will be successful.
5) Describe your ultimate fantasy craft project.
My mum and I are knitters at heart and so for us it would be the ultimate huge cosy blanket knitted in squares of different yarns and sewn together.
6) What is your favourite MillaMia product?
I love the Teddy Blanket in a gift box. I think it’s an amazing present for someone and the colours chosen are fantastic.
7) Tell us something unusual about yourself.
I am terrified of clowns!
Many thanks to Edna and Lisa for this lovely insight into the two Little Knitting Shops! You can find the original shop at 45a Portland Street, Troon, Ayrshire KA10 6AA, call them (they are very helpful!) on 01292 737424 or contact them via email firstname.lastname@example.org. The brand new Ayr shop is located at 61, Newmarket Street, Ayr, Ayrshire KA7 1LL.
(posted by Max)